Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Induction


Baby's got a birth date!

I think the heart palpitations and immediate thoughts of "Oh snap, this is real" have slowed enough to announce that unless she decides to come on her own before then, Nora June Bauer will greet the world Monday, July 8, 2013, after what I hope and pray will be a smooth (painless?) induction.

Jonathan and I have been thinking about this for several weeks now. I've always been one to not jump the gun on baby birthing, as evidenced by the fact that I kept Owen in until an on-call doctor ordered him out, but we're going a different route this time.

My doctor is heading out of town on July 12, my estimated due date. I'm so appreciative of the fact that he told me about this.

To be frank, I'm madly in love with the man. I was more than a little bummed when the on-call doctor had to do an emergency induction with Owen due to high blood pressure, and one of my biggest hopes this time was to spend a little time in the birthing room with Dr. G. Nathan's equally awesome central Arkansas OB was in Colorado when my water broke, so if all goes as planned, this will be the first time I get to have my actual doctor there.

As you can see, he's kind of a big deal.

Then there's the thought that I won't have to drive the hour to the hospital soaking my car seat with amniotic fluid and/or breathing through contractions. Seems like a plus, doesn't it?

All that aside, I've definitely come across some articles on Dr. Google and hormone-filled birth boards that tell me this is not the way to go. That it'll all end up with more problems than I bargained for and a baby who isn't ready to come. I know there are risks associated with an induction, but I also know I delivered after facing drug-free Pitocin contractions and it only took 2.5 hours start to finish.

Therefore, we look at the pros and cons:

    PROS
  • Starting labor at a hospital.
  • My body loves pitocin.
  • Control over the situation.
  • Birthing with my OB.
  • I don't like surprises.
  • More time for epidural.
  • Relaxed atmosphere.
  • Planned childcare.
    CONS
  • Pitocin won't work.
  • Epidural won't work.
  • Some say risk of C-section.
  • Everyone knows.












I actually asked my doctor at my final(!) prenatal appointment yesterday if he considered me favorable and he nodded toward the two guys monkeying around in the exam room. He said he absolutely would not do it if he didn't think I could and the fact that I've had two vaginal births is a good sign that I can have another. I'm dilated about a centimeter and a half and hopefully that increases a little before we hand Nora her eviction notice.

Yes, I feel like we made the best decision for our family. The next step is to go to the hospital this afternoon and make a little dent in the admissions process before Monday. Then it's last-minute chaos, a Ninja Turtle birthday party, a day full of celebrating my favorite six-year-old, and a 6:00 AM call time to be prepped to meet my daughter.

EEK. Wish me luck, y'all. :)

No comments: