Friday, July 12, 2013

Nora's Birth Story

Many things happened Monday, July 8, 2013.

Discoveries were made and frontiers were forged. Change and innovation, heartbreak and sorrow, prayer and peace. Billions of people all over the world had their own trials, tribulations, and joys.

But for one tiny split second, the newest part of this crazy world left my body and took her first breath. We welcomed Nora June with open arms and tear-filled eyes.

Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

My bags were packed, my pre-admissions paperwork submitted, and the nerves were coming on strong. At 5:00 that morning, I pulled my favorite maternity dress over my stretched belly for the last time and we left home to celebrate Nora's birthday.

On the hour drive to the hospital, we placed bets about when we'd become parents for the third time. Jonathan guessed around 1:30, but I said noon, thinking I could squeeze in lunchtime. Although the planets aligned in that I was able to schedule an induction, Nora June would prove to be my most stubborn baby.

Once admitted into my room, it wasn't long before the IV was done (and redone) and the Pitocin drip started. This was around 7:15. Too excited/overwhelmed/anxious to do anything else, Jonathan and I just sort of smiled at each other and took turns staring at the bottom line of the screen, waiting for contractions to form bumps in the road.

No bumps yet!

My nurse came in every 15 minutes or so. We heard the cries of babies who were meeting their mamas for the first time. I tossed and turned in the unforgiving hospital bed. Nora's heartbeats filled my ears and I closed my eyes to imagine her little face. Then, a bump. 

At about 1:30 PM, contractions registered on the screen and throughout my belly and back. I could feel progress and I knew if I were to make my lunch date, this was it. The nurse came in to check and I was bummed to hear that I had only dilated from 1 cm to 2 cm over the course of the morning.

Spoiler Alert: I didn't get lunch.

At about 2:00 PM, my doctor broke my water and 10 minutes after that, things were moving. By 4:00 PM, I had escalated to a 4, then I escalated to asking for the epidural, then I escalated to requesting IV drugs while waiting for the anesthetist. In the words of the Internet, ain't nobody got time for that.

Thirty minutes later, I could not keep the enthusiasm at bay when I could no longer feel my legs. Success! If you remember Owen's birth story, you know I was not so lucky then. This working epidural thing is heaven, y'all.

I shut my eyes for a brief second and when I opened them, it was go time. I gave a trial push for the nurse and thankfully the doctor was ready. One more push at 6:05 PM and he held her small body up for me to see.

{Click HERE for the complete photo album of Nora's birth day.}

She was here. She was healthy. She was my daughter.

The pediatric nurse quickly announced to the room that she was absolutely gorgeous as she rang off Nora's first stats: 6 pounds, 10 ounces, and 20 inches long. A petite thing who only cried for about 30 seconds after birth. Once she was wrapped and handed to me, her bright eyes locked tight with mine.

This sweet face is one I have known for a lifetime. In it I can see her brothers, her father, and myself. She watched my mouth as I spoke to her in a soft voice and the connection was powerful. We weren't strangers, we were family. This may have been love's first sight, but the love was always there.

Jonathan and I took a moment to privately revel in this brand-new person and then the second best part of the day happened. When the Bauer Boys walked into the delivery room, Owen shouted "That's Baby Sisser!!" and Nathan immediately asked to hold her. They are such amazing big brothers and cannot get enough of her. Although, that's a post for another day. :)

Just 24 hours after Nora became an official part of the Bauer Bunch, my baby girl and I were given clean bills of health. Jonathan loaded her precious body into the car seat and we laughed at the fact that our child was wearing a pink floral onesie. This daughter thing is a whole new ballgame, isn't it?

Once home, we swaddled her in a pink blanket and placed her in the cradle in our bedroom. Since then, we have been getting to know her schedule and trying our best to remember baby care. We are staring into her eyes, covering her with kisses, and letting her brothers love on her as often as they want.

I am in such a state of bliss that my baby girl is here.

And we are just getting started.


Unknown said...

She is beautiful. Congratulations!

Jodi said...

Amazing and beautiful!